Friday 29 November 2013

On Keys: Material and Metaphysical.



Last week was the week of keys at my place. It started when I locked myself out. Cold morning: I’d thought I wouldn’t need a jacket; I’d only be out a few minutes with one of the dogs while the other dog went for his walk. It never crossed my mind to take a key for a short time. Then the dog walker came back, put the dog in the back yard and locked the door as she left. I didn’t wake up to this until I tried to get in.
            So here I was shivering: I was able to get to the front garden but not into the house. Fortunately I had the mobile, and a text to the dog walker sorted out the key, which now lives in my pocket forevermore. But that was just the beginning.
            Someone else forgot a key on Sunday. This key turned out to be locked in the boot of her car, along with music she needed to sing at a concert immediately. A kindly partner travelled to rescue her music and keys so she could sing. These are physical keys: the kind I was urged to get cut so a copy could be left with  neighbours. Who has the key? Who can open the door? Do you need a key to get into your workplace? What about keys you need to open doors for others?
            Then there are electronic or digital keys, far too many of them in this sceptical and dubious age. Your computer passwords and your PINS are keys, and you find that without them you’re persona non grata. One of these keys also failed for me this week, one of the passwords, which required a visit from the computer repairer, who fortunately restored access. I couldn’t have done it on my own. There isn’t much arguing, explanation or complaint possible with electronic keys.
            I wonder about metaphysical keys. Peter is famously given the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, though these might be metaphorical rather than metaphysical keys, or maybe both. These keys unlock the treasure-houses of the Kingdom: Peter is made free to give of God’s treasures as perhaps Pope Francis would hope to do today. The angel in the book of Revelation bears a key to lock up the dragon (or serpent): the devil. The binding and loosing power of Peter also has this quality of restraining what is harmful and giving freedom to what is restrained. Keys: protection (to lock) and release (to unlock).
            There may be magical keys (the Key of Solomon, a textbook which is different to the Wisdom of Solomon the Queen of the South travelled so far to hear) and musical keys, of course, and keys to codes and maps, and keys to life from the Egyptian ankh to DNA, which is itself a code. Anyone who reads the Wisdom of Solomon will recognise, alas, many politicians and polluters among us who ‘make use of creation’ and oppress the poor, not sparing the widow or regarding the grey hairs of the aged. They believe that might makes right, and that everything weak is also useless.
            How different is Wisdom, the key to creation: all things being created so that they might exist. What a simple and profound idea. Wisdom is described as ‘a breath of the power of God’ in these lovely verses: “There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy, unique, manifold, subtle, mobile, clear, unpolluted, distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen, irresistible, beneficent, humane, steadfast, sure, free from all anxiety, all-powerful, overseeing all … because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things … and she orders all things well.’

No comments:

Post a Comment