Saturday 21 March 2015

On Human Space



Today, due to a competition called Iron Man (the last Iron Man I heard of was Bismarck: times change) I took the old way to the city not the freeway. I hadn’t taken that route in a generation. I’ve reached a place in my life where everything reminds me of something else; my trip was a revival of whole sheets of my former life.
            Witnessing the industrialisation of suburbs I’d known, where I’d stayed, lost events enacted, shops, hospitals, schools, communities overwritten, signage in new languages, blocks of boxlike factory outlets over gardens and homes. At least the sad dusty pony rides by the highway now gone.
            Parts of life have enchantment such that living them blocks out time: passionate love, ambition, joys of parenthood. Time seems not to move while within them: yet finite. The Stabat Mater we sang today tells of a Mother facing such an end: Lenten sorrows.
            It’s of this mutability of human space that Paul writes, saying how we must be changed, the places of our lives like sets to be struck and rolled away, the dramas and traumas like joys and delights concluded, leaving us on the bare structure and stage of God’s Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment